Whole grain banana bread
Who doesn’t love banana bread? Even back in my anti-banana days, I loved banana bread (nope- didn’t eat bananas till I was expecting my first… Glad I learned how tasty they are!)
There are many many recipes and methods for making this classic loaf. My hope was to have a whole grains, less sugary, moist bread. So here it is, if you want the same!
Banana bread. Plus lots of whole grains and greek yogurt, minus lots of sugar…
I found that the 6T of honey was plenty in addition to the mashed banana for sweetness, plus some raisins. Does anyone else have a toddler who believes no day is complete without at least one snack of raisins? Actually, he’d happily eat them at every snack and meal if he could… A little box of raisins and all is well!
This bread also gets some walnuts tossed in for a bit of crunch. They can be left out for anyone with a nut allergy.
For fanciness, reserve a few of the chopped nuts for sprinkling on top. Don’t sprinkle raisins on top though, whatever you do. They tend to
burn to a crisp get a smidgin over baked.
If you want to cut down on the amount of dairy for someone with a sensitivity, dairy free milk works just fine, as well as coconut oil in place of the butter. I haven’t tried substituting the yogurt, but coconut or almond yogurt would likely be a suitable replacement. Let me know if you try it!
For another easy, filling snack idea, you might enjoy this whole grain pumpkin chip muffins recipe!Print
Whole Grain Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Total Time: 37 mins
- Yield: 3 mini loaves 1x
Soft and delicious whole grain banana bread!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or sub all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup rolled (old fashioned) oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 T ground flax seed
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas (about 3/4 cup-mashed well)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 T melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 T honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In large bowl, flour, oats, salt, baking soda, and flax.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg, banana, yogurt, butter, milk, honey, and vanilla.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it. Mix all ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Separate batter into 3 mini bread pans or put all into 1 large bread pan. Sprinkle walnuts on top if desired. (Only for small loaves. Large loaf may end up with burned walnuts due to length of baking time).
- Bake at 400 degrees F.
- Mini pans: Bake 20-22 minutes
- large pan: Bake 30-35 minutes
- (or until you can insert toothpick & it comes out without batter)
- Category: Breads
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy!