Whole grain pumpkin chip muffins
Joy! Pumpkin chip muffins! I’m loving them.
I’ve tested many batches, trying to find a way to make them with whole grains while keeping them from drying out, with lots of pumpkin, and with a moderate amount of sugar. This is the result!
These morsels are perfect for little hands when they’re made in mini muffin pans. Custom made for toddler and preschooler little helpers! No more 1/2 muffins left laying on the table, or floor… or couch. Not in your house, i’m sure!
Actually, my typical way of baking these is to do 2 dozen mini muffins and 1 dozen regular sized. That way, my husband doesn’t have to eat 4 to feel full, and I’m still saved from cleaning up muffin halves. Score.
For another quick, kid loved snack, check out this chocolate peanut butter cup energy bites recipe:)
Soft & delicious whole grain muffins with a beautiful fall pumpkin flavour!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour OR all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 T ground flax seeds
- 1 cup milk, dairy or alternative + 1T vinegar
- 1 & 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, dairy free if necessary
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix milk & vinegar, then set aside for 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, mix all dry ingredients other than pepitas and chocolate chips.
- In medium bowl, beat egg well, then add other wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Form well in middle of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in pepitas and chocolate chips.
- Batter should be stiff.
- Scoop batter into lined muffin tins. This will make 2 dozen regular sized muffins or 4 dozen mini muffins.
- Sprinkle oats on top of muffins.
- Bake mini muffins 11-13 minutes and regular sized muffins 15-18 minutes (depending on darkness of pan).
If making mini muffins, chop pepitas into small bits.
For best results, do not open the oven door for at least 10 minutes into baking.
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy!