Soft and flavour packed, these fruit sweetened chocolate cherry muffins are loaded with whole grains and healthy fats for a a filling, nutritious breakfast on the go or snack!
- 1 ¼ cups oatmeal (ground in blender)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 2 T hemp hearts
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 6 dates (softened)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup milk (dairy or unsweetened alternative)*
- 1 cup chopped cherries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, optional (dairy free if necessary)
- Pulse oatmeal in the blender until it resembles a gritty flour.
- If dates are not soft, place them into a bowl of hot water for 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a mini muffin pan with liners (aluminum or parchment paper liners work best) or grease pan well.
- Add all dry ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add coconut oil, dates, almond extract, eggs, applesauce, and milk into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour blended mixture into a well in center of the dry ingredients.
- Mix gently just until no dry ingredients are noticeable.
- Fold in cherries and chocolate chip.
- Scoop into greased or lined mini muffin pans.
- Add extra hemp heart ‘sprinkles’ to decorate the tops!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
*A 2% or creamier dairy milk OR a creamy based non-dairy milk (cashew or coconut) create a wonderfully soft/moist muffin
- Category: Muffins