Wild rice soup is such a well loved favourite, and no wonder! Creamy, flavourful, and pretty easy to make! But if you’re sensitive to dairy at all, ‘creamy’ might make you cringe…
‘Oh yeah? what are they so great for?’
So glad you asked… these are what you need for dairy free creaminess! The unassuming little cashew is your ticket out of the sore stomach camp if you’re dairy sensitive. Can I get a few hip hoorays?.. no? Fine. No cheers, no recipe.
Just kidding. I’ll give you the recipe anyways. 😛
P.s. Even if you or your family aren’t dairy intolerant, it’s worth making 🙂 It’s very much kiddo approved around here- we have wild rice soup fans for sure. (=happy me because I sure love it too!)
we take mushrooms, celery, and onions and mince them small. I mean tiny. Well, if you have kids who don’t have issues with chunks of mushrooms, go ahead a lob in big pieces, but that would definitely be a deal breaker around here. Small, small, small. I actually use my tupperware chop-N-prep to make them teeny.
These are sautéed in some olive oil to bring out flavours, and then the rest of the ingredients are added, with the creamy cashew base last. It’s a pretty safe, straightforward recipe.
Oh, and a bit of spinach at the end. Or not, if that’ll be a deal breaker. Your kitchen, your call.
…Come on little helper- spinach is your friend!
Ps. For a traditional wild rice soup with the usual delicious creamy ingredients, check out sweet potato wild rice soup!
See also: 5 hacks to get kids eating healthy foodPrint
Creamy and flavour packed mushroom wild-rice soup! Healthy kid loved recipe. Dairy free, gluten free, whole foods, and tasty:)
- 1 c uncooked wild rice
- 4 c water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced purple onion
- 1 cup minced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 c cubed leftover chicken or ham
- 1 c cashews
- 1 c unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/3 c nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 t arrowroot powder*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large handful spinach, finely chopped
- Place cashews in a bowl to soak. Just covered with water on the counter is fine
- Place wild rice, water, and 1/2 t salt in covered pot. Bring to boil and simmer 45 minutes.
- While cashews are soaking and rice is cooking, prepare veggies.
- Add olive oil, onion, mushrooms, and celery to your soup pot (or frying pan if you prefer) over medium heat. Sauté 5 minutes, or until aromatic.
- Add chicken broth, & meat to pot and simmer, covered, for at least 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- minutes before rice will be finished, place cashews, cashew milk, nutritional yeast, and arrowroot powder into a blender and blend until creamy.
- Add wild rice and creamy cashew mixture to soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. This will vary greatly, depending on saltiness of your broth and choice of ham or chicken, as ham will be saltier.
- Lastly, add spinach.
- Cook 5 more minutes, or until soup has thickened up and spinach has wilted.
*Can sub corn starch if you don’t need gluten free
- Category: Soup
From my kitchen to yours- enjoy!