Sweet potato meatloaf boats
but still full of flavour 🙂
My boys are always well pleased when their supper plates have something fun on them, and these meatloaf boats are no exception. Plus the bonus is, they are extremely (very very very) quick to throw together!
(And i’m well pleased when the something fun doesn’t take me longer than 25 seconds extra to prepare)
This meatloaf was born out of my desire to find a recipe that had a rich, tomato base without using canned tomato soup, as well as some depth of flavour without being extremely hot and spicy!
Enter, sweet potato meatloaf boats 🙂 The tomato base from tomato paste, and flavourful by using chill powder, paprika, worcestershire sauce, and honey + salt & pepper. It has a sweet undertone with mild spice, and has been a hit around here. Hopefully you find the same at your house! Go hog wild and add more chill powder for heat lovers.
The sail is simply a toothpick with a cucumber cut into a triangle, but has also been a triangle of cheese or any other number of veggies in the past. Whatever you have in your fridge will work just fine!
This recipe is gluten free if you use certified worcestershire sauce and oats (or sub quinoa flakes).
These bake in muffin tins for 20 minutes, and then a tomato mixture is added on top and they return to the oven for a couple more minutes.
*Alternately, this can be baked in a loaf pan, covered with foil for 1 hour, topped with the tomato mixture, and baked 5-10 minutes longer uncovered.
Make it a meal: Pair this with rainbow salad or chopped raw veggie sticks and brown rice!
- MINI MEATLOAF BOATS:
- ¾ lb ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- 1 cup finely grated sweet potato
- ¼ cup finely minced purple onion
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ tsp chill powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked pepper
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce (gluten free certified if needed)
- 2 T honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cups quick cook oatmeal or quinoa flakes (use gluten free certified oats if needed)
- 2 T tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ T honey
- ½ tsp worcestershire sauce (GF if needed)
- 1 long english cucumber
- Mix all ingredients for meatloaf boats in a bowl. Divide the mixture into 14-16 individual meatloaf boats in muffin tins.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- While these bake, mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- After 20 minutes, remove the meatloaf from the oven and put approx 1 tsp sauce on each meatloaf boat.
- Return to bake 2 minutes longer.
- Cut triangle sails from cucumber rounds and put one on each boat with a toothpick.
- Enjoy with the story, Frankie's dream!
From my kitchen to yours- enjoy!