Rainbow foods! The colourful fruits and veggies that are chalk full of good stuff- that many kids refuse to taste, or simply pick out or eat around. Especially if they’re big chunks and you have a child who doesn’t enjoy certain textures, you know this battle well!
Small, small, small… that’s what works around here. Veggies can be incorporated into breakfast easily in these scrambled eggs if you take care to make them teeny. Use a food processor or your (endless?) patience to make sure that there aren’t big chunks anywhere to be found.
These can be made dairy free by using almond or coconut milk in the eggs and omitting the optional cheese (or use a dairy free cheese).
Call on your little helper to load the veggies into the food processor or press buttons. We use a handheld Tupperware Chop ‘N Prep which has a pull cord, and a certain 3 year old thinks that pulling the cord on it is great fun! 🙂
Ps. I have suggested some veggies to use in this recipe, but honestly, any you have on hand (especially if it’s a well loved veggie) will work well! Shred carrots, sweet potatoes, or winter squash and sauté them with the chopped veggies to switch it up!
Saute the veggies until they are almost cooked through, then add your egg mixture, and breakfast is a minute away. Good job, super Mom 😀Print
Quick & easy veggie scrambled eggs- Eat your rainbow foods!
- 4 large eggs
- 2 T milk (dairy free if necessary)
- 1/8 tsp salt*
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 T minced purple onion
- 1 inch slice of each red, orange, and yellow peppers
- 1 small handful baby spinach
- 2T herbed goat cheese (optional) or can replace with 1/3 c grated cheese (optional)
- Butter or oil for pan
- Add veggies to a food processor (or mince with knife). Run processor until veggies are very finely minced. With a very small food processor it may be necessary to mince one vegetable at a time. This is what I do with my chop ‘N prep.
- Heat frying pan over low-med heat and grease with butter or oil.
- In separate bowl, mix eggs, milk, and spices well.
- Put veggies into pan and sauté 1 minute.
- Pour egg mixture over veggies. Sprinkle grated cheese or crumble goat cheese on top if using. Do not stir at first. Allow eggs to cook 1-2 minutes before string. This helps create fluffier scrambled eggs. Once eggs have cooked 1-2 minutes, stir to mix all ingredients. Stir every 20 seconds until eggs are cooked through.
- *A salt/herb mixture like original Herbamare is also very tasty. I use an extra pinch of Herbamare besides the 1/8 tsp if replacing the salt with it.
- **If doubling recipe, be sure to wait 2 minutes before stirring eggs
- Category: Breakfast
From my kitchen to yours- enjoy!