It’s often super busy at our house around lunch time. No time for elaborate food prep. This is one of my go-tos for a quick, nutritious, and versatile sandwich spread. It can go into a tortilla also, or into a ‘green wrap’ with a large greens leaf for mom or for an adventurous kiddo!
This quick veggie sandwich spread can be made with tuna or chicken, and would work well with whatever veggies you have on hand.
Fish is full of nutritious goodness. But if your kids aren’t sold on eating fish, something i’ve done is mixed canned tuna or salmon together with canned chicken (assuming they enjoy chicken), to make it taste more familiar. To win them over in eating it at first, I also skipped the veggies and added dried cranberries. 🙂 Whatever it takes! Now they’ll typically eat it whichever way I prepare it. Win!
Quick and easy veggie filled sandwich spread!
- 2 cans flaked tuna in water or 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded*
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 T mayo
- 2T finely diced dill pickle
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrots
- 2T finely diced red pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp dill weed spice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together, adjusting spices to taste. Chill 1 hour or overnight before serving (if you have time- i’ve eaten it right away and it’s still very tasty!)
- *Add pinch salt if using chicken breast
- Category: Lunch
From my kitchen to yours- enjoy!