Chewy peanut butter granola bars!
Not flaky, crumble all over your house granola bars… I promise:)
Toasted oats + brown crispy rice cereal + seeds or nuts + flax seed + quinoa…
covered in a stovetop make mixture of coconut milk, coconut oil, honey, and peanut butter..
= num num num.
Begin by toasting the oats, quinoa, and nuts or seeds to bring out their delicious rustic inner flavour… (trust me! There’s rustic delicious flavour in there!) 😀
Bubble up the ‘glue’ on the stovetop (will take between 10-15 minutes..) this is where you pull out your candy thermometer. If you don’t have one, it’s well worth looking into. Its the most sure way to make chewy..aka no crumbling all over everywhere granola bars I’ve found.
Dump, stir, and press into a lined 9×13 pan. Then they head to the fridge to cool and set.
Next comes the chocolate scribble on top. Melt it together and go to town drizzling chocolate!
Although these bars aren’t super easy to make with young kids (lots of toasting and boiling honey, etc), the (slightly cooled) chocolate scribble can be provided by a little artist without a problem.
And last but not least, happy munching time!
PS- if you boil the honey mixture too long on accident, this makes delicious granola as well… ask me how I know.
This recipe doesn’t have an ‘official’ story to go along with it like some do here at tiny tummy tales, but would work very well with the adventure story In Elfdale, where brother and sister Finn & Penny learn about whole grains from the Enchandelle elves. Read it together with your little chef for a fun tiny tummy tales experience!
Then eat the bars together… Best part!
These are based on my whole grain granola bars which are made with dairy milk and butter, and are a basic base rather than peanut buttery. 🙂
- 2 cups large flake oats
- ¾ cup chopped nuts/ seeds
- ¼ cup dry quinoa
- 3 T ground flax meal
- 1½ cups crispy brown rice cereal
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup + 2 T natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free if necessary)
- Toast oats, dry quinoa, & nuts/seeds at 350 degrees C for 8 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Place toasted ingredients plus crispy rice cereal, and flax in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix coconut milk, coconut oil, honey, and salt in a pot and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Boil until candy thermometer reads 118 degrees C (240 degrees F) or soft ball stage, stirring occasionally. *Watch closely as it heats quickly at the end!
- Remove from heat and stir in ⅓ cup peanut butter.
- Pour over dry ingredients and sir well.
- Press into lined 9 x 13 pan.
- Cool in fridge 20 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips and 2 T peanut butter together and stir until well combined.
- 'Scribble' over granola bars with the chocolate/peanut butter mixture.
- You can cut the bars now, or wait until the chocolate has set.
- Cut into 4 x 5 (20 granola bars) or 6x6 for smaller dessert type squares!
From my kitchen to yours- enjoy!