Maple glazed quinoa bowl
Once upon a time there was a little girl who loved to help in the garden! She had helped to plant carrots, to dig potatoes, to sample snap peas, and had stained her fingers red with delicious, sweet strawberry juice.
Now there was a new vegetable ready. She eyed the oddly shaped orange and yellow veggies. Apparently they were called squash, and they looked nice and colourful.
She watched as Mom chopped up the new vegetable into cubes and popped them into the oven. The room smelled nice. But surely she wouldn’t have to eat them… This was a new and funny looking food!
Then she noticed Mom had pulled out the maple syrup! Hmm. That changed things altogether! Maple syrup is familiar and delicious!
Hmmm.. I suppose I could try one bite…she thought.
Bingo- because just like that, she discovered that roasted squash is delicious. 🙂
As are roasted carrots, beets, broccoli etc etc etc… for that matter.
We love roasted veggies around here. It’s easy as anything, and it simply. is. delicious.
(We’ve had little chefs thieving roasted veggies off the pan before the rest of the meal is ready. That good.) Veggie theft around here is highly encouraged. 🙂
We’ve roasted many different veggies in the same way this recipe describes. The coconut oil adds awesome flavour. And the sea salt is just a stitch tastier here than table salt… to me anyways. If you don’t have any, regular table salt will be fine!
This quinoa bowl can be served deconstructed for those who prefer, or together as a fall side dish for Mom and Dad. Both ways are easy easy.
Toss all the ingredients together, stir, and enjoy!
For another tasty quinoa idea, peek at this quinoa crunch granola recipe!Print
Quinoa bowl with delicious maple glazed veggies- perfect fall side dish!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup minced kale (can use food processor for tiny pieces)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt + more for sprinkling
- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 cup diced carrot (about 1 large)
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced peppers
- 1 T melted coconut oil
- 1 T maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place squash, carrots, mushrooms, and peppers in a medium/large bowl and pour coconut oil over them. Stir to evenly coat veggies. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Keep bowl handy, you’ll need it again!
- Place in oven and roast 20 minutes, or until veggies are fork tender.
- Put quinoa, broth, kale, cumin, chilli powder, and 1/4 tsp salt in a small pot and bring to boil. Simmer until all broth is absorbed.
- Put roasted veggies back into bowl and pour maple syrup over them. Stir to coat veggies evenly. Add quinoa mixture and stir to combine.
From my kitchen to yours- enjoy!