Gingerbread breakfast smoothie.
Aka. A healthy Christmas treat for your kids- it could be a breakfast or snack!
What makes a good breakfast smoothie?
In my books it’s going to be
- Without gobs of sugar
- Simple to make
- and kid loved. Especially this, because i’m not going to make many different things every morning.
The addition of plain greek yogurt and almond butter add a good dose of ‘filling-ness’ to this gingerbread breakfast smoothie mixture, and I was well pleased that all 3 of my boys drank their whole cupful and were looking to see if the blender was empty. It was. I was happily sipping down the last serving.
I used freshly grated ginger which added a delicious little ginger ‘kick’ without being overpowering for tiny taste buds. If ginger isn’t a new flavour for your family, try adding a little extra. It’s a delicious contrast to the sweet ingredients!
If you’re looking for a switch up from a typical fruit smoothie, give this one a try! Welcome to have a look at my other smoothie recipes here for more healthy smoothie ideas your kids may enjoy!
I’m also offering a free oatmeal lover’s challenge for kids with more kid-loved oatmeal recipes for breakfast & snacks, as well as a fun printable activity pack! You can learn more here and sign up if you’re interested!
This kid loved gingerbread breakfast smoothie is made with whole foods ingredients, is full of protein, and has a delicious mildly spicy flavour offset by bananas and dates!
- 1 cup milk (dairy or unsweetened alternative)
- 2/3 cup plain greek yogurt (use coconut yogurt for dairy free)
- 2 T almond butter
- 2 dates (softened in hot water if necessary, pits removed)
- 1/4 cup oatmeal (certified gluten free, if necessary)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Dash each cloves and nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger (or to taste)
- 1 large frozen banana
- 4–6 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients other than banana and ice cubes into blender and mix until dates are well broken down.
- Add the banana and ice cubes and blend until smooth and creamy.
*Fresh ginger can be frozen in a freezer bag for several months. Simply grate the necessary amount of frozen ginger and return it to the freezer!
*The 1/2 tsp of ginger recommended in this recipe gives a very mild ginger flavour. If it isn’t a new flavour for your family, more is very delicious!
- Category: Smoothie
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy!