Chocolate peanut-butter cup energy bites
‘What have we here? Hmmm. Looks like another energy bite recipe’, you might think.
‘Yes indeed, it is’! I’ll tell you.
‘So why should I make this one?’ You wonder. ‘There are about 10000 of them populating pinterest these days!’
‘because this one uses toasted oats which are goooood. Plus, I said so.’ Maybe shouldn’t try that one. The last time ‘because I said so’ worked around here was… yeah. Maybe never. Scrap that. Lets stick with the toasted oats.
Anyways, moms, here’s an energy bite recipe that takes those essential ingredients,
(aka, chocolate & peanut butter)
plus toasted oats
(Ok, and salt & vanilla),
And mixes up really quickly into a fun kid-loved snack with a healthier twist. Likely don’t put them on the breakfast bite list because they still do have a decent amount of sugar with the honey, but for a quick afternoon snack, or dessert, they hit the spot!
These are a fun and easy way to get your little helper into the kitchen. Since the oats require toasting, it’s a good idea to pre-toast them so they can cool before little hands are helping to measure them.
My 4 year old enjoys rolling these into bites. I scoop him a bit of mix and he happily rolls it into shape!
He also loves to help with the measuring, pouring, stirring, licking the spoon… 🙂
Now on to the recipe!
P.s. If you’re looking for more easy snack ideas, these whole grain granola bars are great for using up what you have on hand in your pantry!
This energy bites recipe makes 20 bites, or less if there are many little fingers sampling the mix! 🙂
See also: The secret to less picky eating
- 2 cups rolled oats (certified gluten free if necessary) divided.
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- ½ cup honey, melted
- 2 T chia seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓-1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar (dairy free if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place rolled oats on pan and toast 7-8 minutes, until lightly golden
- While oats toast, mix peanut butter, honey, chia seeds, salt, & vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Remove oats from oven. Measure 1 & ¼ cups and add to bowl. Place remaining ¾ cup in a blender and pulse into a course flour. Add to bowl.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Add chocolate chips or chopped bar and stir just until mixed. Do not over stir or the chocolate will all melt.
- Place bowl into fridge and chill 30 minutes-1 hour or until mixture is easily rolled into bites.
- Roll into bites and keep refrigerated until eating!
From my kitchen to yours- enjoy!