Chocolate-chip cookie dough hummus
Mid-afternoon. “Mom, what can we have for snack?”
“How about one of those chocolate-cherry muffins?”
“Ok- you could have some fruit!”
“Apples are boring and the bananas are still green!”
Apples = boring today. Bananas are green. Muffins are all gone. What can I make that won’t take half an hour to mix, bake, and dirty a whole bunch of dishes…?
If you’re like me, you’re always on the lookout for quick and easy snack ideas. If that idea happens to use an entire can of chickpeas and can bring cheers from 3/3 boys eating it, all the better!
I’m a fan of this hummus for 3 main reasons, aside from it being tasty:
- Max 10 minutes to make it, start to finish (if you choose to toast the oatmeal)
- Lots of nutritious goodness from the chickpeas, oatmeal, and peanut butter
- Keeps well several days in the fridge
We enjoy eating this chocolate-chip cookie dough hummus as dip for apples, pretzels, or just as a little side treat on a spoon with lunch. Yum. Count mom in!
This is a great one for getting kids into the kitchen with you as well. Easy pouring, measuring, and instant gratification for a happy helper! Score. (Oh, and your patience only has to last 10 minutes…)
Getting kids helping in the kitchen is one of the easiest ways to get kids trying new foods without the fuss as well!
The recipe calls for toasted oats. If you have the time to toast them, I highly recommend it because it adds some awesome flavour. It’s not strictly required though. I’ve made many *scramble* batches where I didn’t have time to toast the oats and they were eaten up without a peep of protest.
Picnics, play dates, or a friend’s get-together can all benefit from a batch of chocolate-chip cookie dough hummus 🙂 Let me know how you enjoy it!
- 540 mL (19oz) can chickpeas, drained
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ⅓ cup oatmeal (optionally toasted)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt*
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Toast oats at 350 degrees F until golden brown (optional).
- Place everything except chocolate chips into a food processor or high speed blender and mx until smooth.
- Add in chocolate chip and stir to combine.
- Serve with apple slices, pretzels, or enjoy plain!
**If consistency is slightly thick, add milk (dairy or unsweetened alternative) 1T at a time to thin
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy!