Blueberry pie oatmeal.
Even though you aren’t supposed to judge a book by its cover, I’m guilty judging recipes by their name all the time. And you can bet your kids are too! Give it a fun name, make it tasty, and what’s not to love? If you have a ‘I hate oatmeal porridge’ resident in your house, give this a try:)
You know those mornings where reaching for the box of cold cereal just sounds so appealing? Ten seconds flat & breakfast is on the table. Pour from box, add milk, done.
Yeah. Those mornings happen here too, and I don’t foresee myself booting cold cereal off the grocery list any time soon. BUT I do like to have it as an occasional breakfast rather than my go to for our family. Enter oatmeal and eggs- our quick, more nutritious go-tos!
Even though that cold cereal isn’t booted off the grocery list, a few bags of plain old oatmeal are going to be on the list right beside it. With a star. Maybe i’ll even write it with a pink pen. Because it’s awesome.
It’s quick to make.
It’s full of fiber,
and according to encyclopedia google, it totes a pretty impressive list of vitamins and minerals as well.
So as often as time and energy allow, ditch the cold cereal and pull out the oatmeal instead. In less than 10 minutes you can have a whole grain breakfast with all those afore mentioned benefits. That tastes really good.
And as far as cold cereal goes, I’m going to be the mom reading the ingredients list in the grocery store aisle and looking for the most plain, basic, & boring ingredients list I can find… 😉
We really do love oatmeal around here (if you hadn’t guessed from the many oatmeal recipes in the breakfast section) and are lucky that so far our kids do also. But out of all we’ve tried so far, this blueberry pie oatmeal is our favourite. Favourite favourite. Not just, ‘one of our favourites’. The tippy top fave.
Ok, now that we’ve quantified just how favourite this blueberry pie oatmeal is, how about sharing the recipe? Ok. Here it is! I hope it’s a new favourite at your house too. 🙂
Deliciously creamy blueberry pie oatmeal. This kid loved breakfast is a tasty whole grain alternative to cold cereal and is quick & easy! Healthy breakfast for kids 🙂
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 1 cup milk (dairy or unsweetened alternative)
- 1 cup water
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 T honey (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 2 T unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen or ¼ cup dried)
- ¼ cup slivered almonds (optional)
- Place all ingredients other than almonds into a pot and bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes, until oatmeal is thick and creamy. *see note.
- While oatmeal cooks, toast almonds in a small pan over medium heat. Remove when lightly brown and fragrant.
- Serve oatmeal with almonds on top. Add extra coconut flake ‘sprinkles’ for fun!
* If using dried berries, add with everything else. For fresh or frozen berries, add at the end to avoid purple oatmeal. Adding the frozen berries after scooping the oatmeal into dishes will cool the breakfast more quickly also.
From my kitchen to yours, enjoy!