Creamy apple pie oatmeal porridge
Creamy oatmeal with sweet apple and maple flavour + cinnamon and cloves. And best of all, kid approved around here. Hopefully the same is true in your house.
To make this gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten free oats. There is a dairy free option as well, which is included in the recipe notes.
Have your helper start by grating the apple if he/she is old enough, or by measuring and pouring the oatmeal & milk! Something else my 3 year old enjoys doing is dutifully sprinkling the toppings onto each serving after I scoop them from the pot. Ten raisins each… 1, 2, 3…
I hope you enjoy it!
Also have a peek at apple ‘marshmallow’ oatmeal, for another kid approved breakfast 🙂
Creamy and packed with flavour, this apple pie oatmeal porridge is perfect for cool fall and winter mornings!
- 1 cup large flake, rolled oats
- 1 & 1/2 cups milk*
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 – 1 1/2 T maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1 medium grated apple
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 handful chopped walnuts
- Put all ingredients other than walnuts and raisins into a pot and bring to simmer. Simmer over a low-medium heat until all liquid is absorbed, leaving a creamy, delicious, awesome breakfast. 🙂
- While the oatmeal is simmering, put the walnuts on a pan and toast in the oven at 350 degrees for about 3 minutes to bring out their flavour!
- Top oatmeal porridge with walnuts and raisins.
* For dairy free oatmeal porridge, replace milk and water with:
-3/4 cup canned coconut milk
-1 & 3/4 cup water
- Category: Breakfast
From my kitchen to yours- enjoy!